One in five persons in the United States has a disability. The question then is, what do we need to do to remove the existing barriers permitting access for all to God and His love? How do we reach out to these individuals?
Below are a few tips and ideas for starting disabilty ministries:
- Top 10 List: Starting a Disability Ministry: 13-minute video from Access Ministry, McLean Bible Church.
- Joni & Friends: Equips Christ-honoring churches worldwide to evangelize and disciple people affected by disabilities.
- Friendship Ministries: Equips churches for ministry to people with intellectual disabilities.
- The Inclusive Church: Help for churches to successfully include children with special needs.
- Christian Learning Center: Comprehensive services to individuals who have disabilities and learning challenges.
- CCFH Ministries: Resources, services and partnering for special needs.
- Nathaniel’s Hope: Ministers to kids with special needs and their families via resources, respite care, education and missions.
- Faith Ability: Encourages awareness, faith and discussion via a resource directory, blog and discussion board.
- Special Touch: Evangelizing and providing support services to people with mental or physical disabilities, their families and caregivers.
The July/August 2011 issue of Outreach magazine includes more information on starting a disability ministry in your church.
How does your church meet the needs of people with disabilites?